Carol,

In the reactions on he constipation subject, I missed something. One of the
primary symptoms of PD is slowing down of the activities of the intestines.
Dopamine has more tasks than the regulation of  motor behaviour. All our
muscles are divided into two classes: the striated  and the smooth. The
striated are involved in conscious movement. The fine tuning of movement is the
task of the extra-pyramidal system which for PWP's is invalidated by loss of
dopamine.
Our organs have smooth muscles and their movement is beyond direct control, but
dopamine has something to do with it. The organs are ruled (activated or not)
by two systems which are the sympatheic and the parasympathetic. Being afraid
or angry or highly concentrated on a task makes the sympath. active, which
results in a set of effects that is known as the flight-or-fight reaction.
Among others the blood is taken away from the viscera and transported to the
striated muscles so a fight or flight is made possible. The parasymp. does the
opposite. A greater part of blood is brought to the viscera.
In short the sympathetic systems is for defending oneself and earn a living.
and the parasympathetic one for consuming and procreation and elimination  The
most important neurotransmitters of the parasympathetic systems are
acelylcholine and dopamine. That is why parasympathetic functions are damaged
in PWP's  Sexual arousal is for some PWP's only fully possible when the sinemet
is active. Urine retention is a Park. symptom and so is slowing down of the
digestive track and difficult elimination. To what extent each symptom shows up
in a PWP is for all symptoms variable.

Of course knowing this is not bringing a solution but Carol Hilton advised us
well on this list.
BTW My personal solution for this problem is eating a few dates every day.

Ida Kamphuis,53/12+
Holland