We attended a regional meeting of PD this past Saturday.  A very good meeting
with a good speaker (had PD for 10 years) followed by his RN wife stressing
the fact we need a 'primary attendant' who knows all our meds. etc as few
hospitals or nurses understand PD.  In an emergency room situation, the nurse
never heard of his meds as they were giving them on admission and
understandably!!  The ND from the LSU movement disorder clinic here in New
Orleans spoke at length.  He basically said that the dyskinisea (squirming,
etc) were often over medication and the freezing was under medication.  My
husband has been diagnosed for 11 years and rarely trembles but does have
'on-off' phenomena where he shuts down or comes on unexpectably.  Last night
for the first time I had to call someone to put him to bed - he was like a
stone.  We are waiting for the new meds.  They are not doing pallidotomies
here in the city yet but one member of our parkinson gp who is 'never still'
is a candidate and will be going to another state soon to have one I believe.
 Seems to me all you Canadians have had this surgery.  Would you recommend it
for my husband, the NDs here don't seem to recommend it in general.  Sometime
we're slow here in the South.
Mary CG for Mel75/11    [log in to unmask]