Billy, there are so many alternatives to driving a car in some areas, and
fewer in others. I suggest a few to consider: Relatives or friends who are
willing to help, but remember to compensate them in some way, maybe a nice
meal, or offer to reimburse for gas, if it would not offend them. Bus
service, if it is practical. Some cities have convenient rail service, if you
live close enough to use it.  In some communities a golf cart type of
vehicle, if you don't need to use the main roads.  There are many services to
transport disabled folks to medical facilities for non-emergency treatment,
which will vary greatly from one location to another, from free shuttle
service to government-reimbursed private services. ALSO many businesses do
deliver items free, or for a nominal charge, such as private drug stores,
restaurants, most large stores.  If you get on the internet, you can find
thousands, if not millions of items for sale that will be shipped to your
door.  Many businesses send there employees to you, if you ask, including
insurance sales or adjusters. You can get catalogs from hundreds of
businesses, to help choose items for mail order. Many banks and creedit
unions offer banking by mail, or phone.  I don't mean to imply that giving up
driving is easy, but it is possible to do it without being totally cut off.
 I also am nervous thinking about my mom driving alone, or even with dad, who
cannot be left alone more than a short time in the car. There are so many
hazards on the road, and chances of mechanical breakdowns, etc. ,   I hope
some of these ideas help someone.