List, June 97's issue of Scientific American has an article on Gene Therapy
for the Nervous System, clipped from the text: Dopamine is not itself a
protein,but the enzymes that synthesize this neurotransmitter are. So
increasing the manufacture of one enzyme critical to that process(tyrosine
hydroxylase) should enhance the synthesis of this much needed brain chemical
for as long as the dopamine-producing cells of the substantia nigra survive.

  I will see if I can find more information about this enzyme - tyrosine
hydroxylase. Antioxidants should be preventing the apoptosis, or at least
this is what I have been reading. There is lots of easy, yet informative
information in this issue. And this article is all on Parkinsons.
  Please pick up a copy.     Best Wishes Linda Forrest's mom

PS! I was pleased that they are finally discussing the issue of enzymes!