Carol,

<< But he'd been put on Golytely (cute name).  This is a product that is
 normally used before an x-ray or surgery to cleanse the intestinal
 tract.  And the normal amount to drink is a gallon.  >>

Have you tried the simple solution of magnesium citrate?  It comes in what
look like old fashioned soda pop bottles from any drug store.  One full
bottle (usually lemon or berry flavored) is a dose.  One/third of a bottle a
day would provide enough magnesium to guarantee the RDA.  My dad (73/7) was
constipated after a hospital stay.  Dietary fiber and enemas were
ineffective.  His appetite suffered, and he moved around very little.  (The
most effective means of  promoting bowel movements is regular exercise, which
is difficult for may PWPs and for those in hospital.  Regular walking would
help PWPs in this and other ways, but many are resistant due to fears of
falling.  Yoga is a good substitute.)  Magnesium finally did the trick with
my dad, and I am encouraging more physical exertion.

Best luck,
Deanne Charlton (CG)