In a message dated 97-06-03 22:57:58 EDT, Dennis Greene writes, in response
to Stephan's post:

<<  "why does
 dyskinesia increase under stress?" >>

I would like to submit one bit of information which may or may not have
bearing here.

The human nervous system fires at different rates and intensities in
different situations.  When the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) is in
command, the nerves fire at 70 milliamperes per second per second (mas/s).
 This is the "all is calm" stage where our respiration is slow and steady,
our stomachs are digesting the rum-filled chocolates with ease, and we blink
and swallow at normal rates.  When the sympathetic nervous system (SNS) takes
over, we go into the fright/flight/fight mode, with increased heart rate,
respiration, constricted pupils, and faster nerve firing.

The SNS kicks in due to stressors.  If there is fear, anger or physical
trauma, there is faster firing.  [When the stressors cause reactive increases
in nerve impulses to the point of 90 mas/s, pain is sensated (90 mas/s is the
proverbial "Pain Threshold").]  At any level above 70, the increased
intensity of nerve impulses COULD mean that the anomalous nerve impulses
causing dyskinesia in PD are simply going out by faster messenger and the
visible signs of PD are more readily apparent.

Commercial for massage therapy:  Relaxation massage helps decrease SNS
activity, lowering blood pressure and heart rate.  Choose a quiet room, have
your pressure strokes go toward the heart, glide your hands slowly across the
recipient's lubricated skin . . . . and both of you will benefit [temporarily
-- I think one of the many neat things about massage is that its effects wear
off and it's time to get another wonderful experience.  This keeps us
literally in touch with one another (*-*) ]

I appreciate any thoughts on the theory of mas/s increase and dyskinesia.

Deanne Charlton (CG)