>>> Margaret Tuchman <[log in to unmask]>
06/04/97 02:54pm >>>
>Subject: Smith Bill Update
>Three new Members have signed onto the Smith bill.  They
>are:
>Dave Weldon (R-FL) - Smith bill cosponsor in 104th
>Asa Huttchinson (R-AR) - Freshman >Thomas Manton
(D-NY) - Udall bill cosponsor in 104th and >member of the
Commerce Committee!  We need to find out >what Manton
is thinking.  If anyone has any insight on >Manton's decision,
please let me know.   >Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)-
NJ-08540 >[log in to unmask]<<<
Margaret:
A propos of what our elected representatives may be thinking
about the Udall bill, on June 2 Jim Saxton wrote back to me
and defended his support of H.R. 1398:
     ". . . the two bills are 99 per cent the same. . . ", but  ". .
. . .[H.R. 1398] has a pro-life provision to prevent the use of
research funds for elective abortions. . . "   ". . . there is
reason for concern . . . . . [because] the NIH bill specifically
authorized NIH funding of human fetal tissue transplantation
research using tissue from any source: . . . induced
abortions."
    What "problem" are the suporters of H.R. 1398 trying to
"solve?"  It seems to boil down to, that despite the facts that:
          -The law allows induced abortions . . . and
          -The law permits the funding of research using fetal
tissue from induced abortions . . .
          -The supporters of H.R. 1398 are singling out AND
DISCRIMINATING AGAINST sufferers of Parkinson's disease
because they do not like the state of the law.  Research for
no other neurological disease (Alzheimer's, Amyotrophic
lateral sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy,  Huntington's Chorea,
Muscular dystrophy) is subject to this "moral" agenda.
        It is particularly irritating when one considers that the
Udall bill does nothing to change the state of the law which
was passed by Congress and signed by the President.
       Stephan    52/6