Friends--today Peter's Rx for Aricept arrived. There was no package
insert with it, so I called they pharmacist and she gave the following
info, which may be of interest.
Aricept is an improvement over Cognex, the other Alzheimer's med which
may help memory and confusion. It does not cause liver problems, as Cognex
may do.  Patients usually tolerAte it well. Usual side effects are not
severe--nausea, diarrhea,headaches, and flushing.  Indications that the
dose may be too large are *severe* nausea, vomiting or muscle weakness and
tiredness.  Aricept is taken at bedtime, with or without food, she said.
Countraindications she named were "certain cardiovascular problems" which
she thought not to mean low BP.,a history of ulcers, or when having major
surgery, because of interaction with other drugs used then.
On the whole, this doesn't sound as "awesome" as the side effects listed for
many of the meds our PWPs use.   Peter will take his first 5mg tablet tonight,
and we'll be on the lookout for reactions , good or bad, over time, to report.
Thanks to those who have posted so far about this  med.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"