From:   "Jim Cordy" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "Non-issue of fetal tissue" and Senator Helms
Date:   Fri, 6 Jun 1997 23:12:08 -0400

First let me say that there are many pro life supporters of the Udall Bill.
 For those who do not consider this:

Parkinson's Research Held Hostage

Sadly we find some pro-life proponents are the major obstacles to passage
of increased Parkinson's disease research funding (the Udall Bill).  Last
session some pro-life supporters successfully prevented this Bill from
going to the House floor, this in spite of the 240 cosponsors in the House
and the unanimous passage of this legislation in the Senate. A year of
increased Parkinson's research and its promise was lost.  An alternative
Bill intended to address pro-life concerns was introduced last year by
Chris Smith.   This Bill prohibits research using fetal tissue from induced
abortions.  Many of those who signed on to that alternative Bill are strong
supporters of Parkinson's research.  They ask, if fetal tissue research is
such a small component of Parkinson's research (less than 4%), why not
prohibit it and pass the Bill.  The problem with that approach is it
immediately throws the Udall Bill into the middle of the abortion debate.
The Udall Bill does not mention fetal tissue anywhere.  It is a Parkinson's
research Bill.  This alternative Bill singles out Parkinson's research and
holds it hostage in the abortion debate.

This in effect has put at odds proponents of two of Americans most
cherished population segments, the very young and the very old.  More
specifically it involves the most vulnerable of each of those segments the
unborn and the sick elderly.  Ironically, we therefor find some of those
who defend the lives of the unborn adversely impacting the lives of the
elderly.  Many, sick, elderly Americans will lose their quality of life and
some their very lives because of that lost year of research. Parkinson's
related deaths are found weekly in the obituaries.  Where is the
documentation of even one instance of an abortion performed to provide
material for fetal transplants.

Fortunately, we do not have to choose between the life of the unborn and
the life of the elderly.  A year ago, then Representative Flannigan, told
my wife and me, that Representative Chris Smith was about to propose
separate legislation that would ban fetal tissue research from induced
abortions across the board.  Flannigan stated that he would then
immediately sign on as cosponsor of both that bill and the Udall Bill.  Why
wasn't that done?  Why has Parkinson's been singled out?  Decouple this
legislation. Debate the fetal tissue issue as a stand alone issue or as
part of some broad NIH legislation.  Free Parkinson's research from its
hostage position.