The Parkinson's Unity Walk set up a table at a street fair on Broadway
between 67th and 68th in New York City yesterday.  It was a beautiful day
despite the rainy forecast.  We signed up nearly fifty walkers for our
September 27th event in Central Park.  At least 50 other people dropped by
with questions about Parkinson's and advice for friends and relatives.
Many of them know nothing about the extensive resources available.

What's wrong with this picture?

What's right with it?

What's wrong is that we need to do a much better job reaching folks with
PD, their families and loved ones.  Not everyone surfs the Net.  I met a
couple in their 80's.  The husband has had PD for two years and they are
still seeing a family doctor. They've never seen a neurologist and are
convinced that nothing more can be done than to take the pills that their
GP prescribes and hope for the best.

I am always amazed at the number of people in any given crowd who have
friends and relatives with PD or are very much aware of the severity of the
problem - people who would like to help but haven't got a clue as to what
they can do.  They don't know about our national organizations.  They don't
know about exciting developments in research and treatment.  Sure, these
may not be people who seek out information on their own but many would help
financially and with advocacy if we could do a better job of reaching out
to them.

What's right?

People are more aware of PD in general than ever before.  Television and
news media coverage has helped.  Muhammad Ali has helped.  But there's
still a long way to go.  We need to visit those friends, relatives and
co-workers who have withdrawn from social contact and re-connect them with
our 'network' to share the benefits of our collective knowledge and
experience about dealing with PD.

Speaking of connections, the PDF and NPF ran very successful events in New
York this weekend.  The PDF put together a scientific symposium on
Saturday.  They also invited leadership from the NPF and APDA, along with a
number of advocates, to a lovely 40th anniversary awards dinner on Saturday
night.  NPF ran a comprehensive patient/caregiver symposium on Sunday at
Beth Israel Hospital.  Advocacy for the Morris Udall Bill was an
ever-present topic of discussion at both events.  Greater cooperation
between leadership from APDA, NPF, PDF and PAN has given more momentum to
the effort than ever before.

Lastly, the Parkinson's Unity Walk is seeking to maximize attendance at our
September event by recruiting corporate and community teams.  If you can
attend the walk in Central Park, New York  on Saturday, September 27th,
please call us about assemblying a team of five walkers from your company
or group.  E-Mail Margot at [log in to unmask] for details.

Regards,
Ken Aidekman

Fund the Research.  Find the Cure.