There have been a few queries about Aricept, a new drug which has been  found
to arrest or slow down the rate of degeneration of people with Altzheimer's,
Naturally, people are asking is it good for Parkinson's as well.

>From what I have been able to glean, the answer has to be no. - It seems that
Aricept works in AD patients by assisting the formation of additional
acetylcholine, the neuro-transmitter involved with those parts of the brain.

People on this list will be aware that one of the early treatments involves the use of Artane; an anticholinergic drug (i.e. one which tries to reduce the
amount of acetylcholine in 'our' areas of the brain. Thus Artane and Aricept
will be mutually competitive.  I wonder: If some people get a favourable
reaction to Aricept, it may be that they have actually got a case of mis-
diagnosed Alzheimer's.?
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>