At 10:17 AM 6/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>From:   "Jim Cordy" <[log in to unmask]>
>To:     "Parkinson's Information Exchange" <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc:     "Bill Langston" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: changes in VA benefits
>Date:   Sun, 8 Jun 1997 07:14:01 -0400
>
>Langston, at the Parkinson's institute was doing a study on veterans with
>PD.
>
>Yes, do an article.  Raising awareness is still the name of the game
>
>----------
>> From: Deanne Charlton <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: changes in VA benefits
>> Date: Saturday, June 07, 1997 11:49 PM
>>
>> To listmembers who are U. S. veterans:
>>
>> This may have been posted before, but I did not see it.  There is an
>article
>> in the April, 1997issue of the online periodical VFW about changes in
>health
>> benefits for veterans of the U. S. armed services.  I can't tell how much
>> application there is for PWPs, but you may want to investigate.
>>
>> www.vfw.org
>>
>> click on VFW magazine
>>
>> then find the April issue.  The article is entitled Meeting Veterans
>Changing
>> Health Needs.
>>
>> Question: I am a freelance writer on health issues.  Should I query VFW
>about
>> doing an article on vets with PD?  I would need to use this list as
>resource,
>> and the article would not be a muck raker, but an information giver on
>> statistics and personal experiences and VA handling of the condition.
>>
>> Deanne Charlton (CG)

I read the VFW article and Iam familiar with the VA system as I have been a
patient (both in & out patient sense 1967.  In fact my parkinson's was
diagnosed by VA neurologist. This particular doctor was the best the VA had
to offer when came to dealing with Parkinson's disease. (in my opinion)  He
had hundreds of Parkinson's patient's and he also had a Parkinson's research
lab that was the first of its kind.  Do to budget cuts and possibly his age
he was forced into retirement. His lab was removed and his patients were
reassigned to other doctors whose knowledge of parkinson's in my opinion is
questionable. The treatment of Parkinson's at that facility has never been
the same but the budget cuts the VA has had to endure in the past few years
is  killing the health care it has to offer. As long as this processs
continues the care the veterans will recieve can't  help but decline. They
do the best they can with the funds they are allocated but the new ideas for
VA healthcare are fine but you have to have proper funding to back them up.
The funding is not there and the outlook for veterans healthcare is
questionable.

Russ