Once last November there was a posting on this list announcing the great
news that the various Parkinson's organizations had agreed to work more
closely  together to pass the Udall Bill.  As it turns out that was
somewhat premature, but perhaps some seeds were planted then which are now
beginning to grow.  Robin Elliot, Executive Director of PDF, Larry
Hoffheimer,  Washington Consul for NPF, Joan Samuelson, President of PAN
and Paul Smedberg, from APDA's Washington office along with several
seasoned advocates(Carol Walton, Bob Martone, Ken Aidekman and myself),
have had two conference call meetings and one in person meeting.   We have
not rushed to publicize these efforts so as to not be premature.  Last
Tuesday we had the most constructive meeting I have witnessed in my time as
an advocate.

More details will be forthcoming but I think there is real promise here and
 wanted to convey this too all you who hunger for information.  We need to
keep concentrating on the goal (finding a cure), emphasizing the positive,
minimizing the areas of difference  and I think this just might work.  I
have felt that even without a cooperative effort there was reason to
believe that we could pass the Udall Bill this year, but that if we could
harness the collective strength of the Parkinson's community the chances
improved dramatically.
Everyone can help by doing what they can whether it be:

1)  writing or calling (Rep Bliley's office  reports they get more calls
and letters on this  issue than any other.  To me that is a Green light to
up the pace).  I recently gave a talk on advocacy where I said call a Rep
or Senator every day, week, or month depending on how much Parkinson's
bothers you.  If it is only a minor inconvence, once a month, but if its a
progressive degenerative  incapacitating disease, once a day seems more
appropriate to me.

2) going to Washington  July 13-15  for the Forum or aiding someone else to
go

WE are coming together for the big legislative  push, but we need your help

Jim Cordy
Pittsburgh