Dear Wegobill:                                  9 June 97
Please understand, I'm not a medical professional and therefore
can't give any medical advice. What I do is scan the current
scientific literature (or textbooks) for interesting items that
I can pass on to the Parkinsn e-mail list. Before taking any
responsive action, you should consult your doctor for his advice.
Zolpidem (Ambien) is a soporific (sleep promoter) as you have
discovered. My report was about some Italian doctors who quite by
accident found that it also relieved one single patient's PD
symptoms. These "anecdotal" reports are a long way from assurance
that the drug or treatment will work for anyone else. If Ambien
doesn't relieve your patient's PD symptoms, I certainly would not
increase the dose, as it probably will only make her more sleepy.
Anything like this is worth a cautious try, as your doctor told
you. But if it doesn't work, then return to the proven treatment
that your doctor has set up.
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694