Jim Cordy wrote:

> An alternative Bill intended to address pro-life concerns was
> introduced last year by Chris Smith. . . . This alternative Bill
> singles out Parkinson's research and holds it hostage in the
> abortion debate. . . .   Why has Parkinson's been singled out?

I took a quick look at some of the web sites of the "Stop Fetal
Tissue Research" people.  Parkinson's disease is mentioned a lot.

Here are excerpts of two articles I found at
http://user.mc.net/dougp/ftrnews.htm

>From IV. News From Around The Net: Fetal Tissue Transplantation,
A NOVA SCOTIA PERSPECTIVE, by Elaine Peers, Moira MacPherson and
Peter Kidd:

"At present, there is adequate available tissue from elective
abortions to meet the need of Parkinson's disease patients.[8]
However, should the technology develop as anticipated and be
effective in treating a wide variety of degenerative diseases, the
amount of tissue would fall far short of the demand.[9]"

>From Fetal Tissue Use For Transplants Has Limitations (Reuters):

"CHICAGO, Jan. 3 -- Fetal tissues from miscarriages and ectopic
pregnancies are rarely suitable for transplantation, a finding that
researchers said encourages use of tissue from aborted fetuses for
transplants. Seven out of 1,497 spontaneously aborted embryos or
products of ectopic pregnancies -- embryos developed outside the
uterus -- were found to be potentially useful for human
transplantation therapy, researchers from a multihospital team
reported in the issue of the Journal of the American Medical
Association published today. . . ."

>From here it's a small step in the mind of the Stop FTR people to
argue that fetal tissue use and research for PD encourages abortion.

Phil Tompkins