Here I am back again, still worried that an emergency situation might be
looming (even though the Golytely works to an extent).

This is what happened yesterday.  I put a call into the GI service and
the doctor on call got back to me almost immediately.  I explained that
we have an appointment in a week with the doctor from the group who we
usually see, but that I am concerned that we may wind up in the hospital
before then.

When I explained that in the past when my husband was just about able to
get into the bathroom even with a lot of help, a completely new and
able-bodied man would be walking freely after a good  elimination.

I don't think he got the point at all, because he said he has patients
who "get a headache" when they're constipated.
At any rate, he called in a prescription for Propulsid.

I recommend all of you take note of Carole Hilton's posting on the
subject "Constipation Prevention" of June 6, and save it for possible
future reference.

My husband had the "overflow" situation she spoke of off and on for
about six months before the volvulus created a
complete obstruction.  We were under the care of a gastroenteroligist
too!  But I think the information Carole gave could have prevented what
could have been fatal.  So save it!

Carol Horner, cg; Walter 74/21

P.S.  A trip on the boat, no matter what
         the name becomes, sounds good
         about now.