Hello Janice,

I don't think I ever thought too much about the subject--just accepted
that it went along with the PD, not why.  I'm sure some of the list's
erudite members will come up with some interesting information.

My husband whose PD is now 21 years along can smile nicely when he wants
to.  His normal or "neutral" face is very mask-like.

They seem to be advocating exercixe for everything else, why not "smile"
exercises.  Maybe you could watch or listen to something funny to smile
along with.  (Kind of like those exercise tapes.)

Even with people without Parkinsons, there are a variety of "neurtral"
expressions.

I don't know if you"ve  ever seen any of Loretta LaRouch's (sp?) tapes,
or seen her on PBS.  She's so funny.  Even  advocates wearing a red
clown nose on occasion.

Here's something I remember from her show.  (And if you saw it, please
forgive the repitition.)

When she made a pot roast, she always cut the ends of the roast off
before cooking it.  Had been doing it that way for a long time.  So one
day she wondered why she did that.

She called her mother and asked:  "Why do we always cut the ends of the
roast off before we cook it?"  Her mother said: "I don't know, why don't
you call your grandmother and ask her?"

So she called up Grandma, and said: "Why do we always cut the ends of
the roast off before we cook it?"

Her grandmother replied:  "I don't know why you do it, but I did it
because the roast wouldn't fit into the pan."

I wish I had more to offer.

Carol Horner, cg; Walter 74/21