Sue Maltais wrote:

> Are there particular vitamins and minerals that PWPs should take?
>
> Thanks, Sue

Sue, I've been traveling and have probably missed some of this thread;
but I'll contribute what I can.

There is some controversy over whether E may be helpful in PD. It was
thought that it might slow the progression of oxidative stress in the
brain area affected by PD. However, studies haven't necessarily
supported this.

I can't offer any information regarding nutritional aspects that will
slow or halt PD. What I've learned is that poor nutrition is frequent
among PWP and greatly exacerbates the condition. I'm currently finishing
up a study on nutrition and PD and I have found that few participants
get sufficient calcium or vitamin D. Many are losing weight, even though
their energy intake appears to be adequate. Almost no one gets enough
vit E in the diet. And mild dehydration is common.

If your father cannot take vit E in pill form, I'd encourage him to get
more in his diet. Unless my patients are allergic to nuts, I encourage
them to buy 1/4 lb each of Brazil nuts, walnuts, filberts, almonds, and
pecans, mix them together and store them in the refrigerator, and eat 2
tablespoons daily. That's about 1/2 ounce. Nuts are rich in natural
tocopherols (vit E in all its forms), as well as a staggering array of
vital trace minerals. Roasting, unfortunately, destroys much of the vit
E, therefore, I recommend use of raw nuts.

This mixture will contain a small amount of protein, and some of my
patients are affected by protein. For these, I recommend they have a
glass of cranberry juice with the nuts. The high amount of carbohydrate
in the juice will increase the ratio of carbohydrate to protein, giving
less interference with Sinemet.

Best regards,
Kathrynne
--