Last week saw the Parkinson's organizations who are attempting to pass the
Udall Bill have one of the most constructive meetings I have had occasion
to observe since my involvement in this advocacy movement.  We were making
assignments and trusting that the assignments would be carried out.  I
would think that meeting was as close to being the Parkinson's Action
Network that Joan Samuelson originally dreamed of.

The next day saw us return to the contentious form which has more typically
described the interaction of the Parkinson's organizations.  I said at the
outset that it all this steering committee does is improve communications,
it would be a huge success.  Any coordination that might result is even
better.

The next day saw us return to form as one of the members  was upset at
another over the handling of the Ali  situation and fired off an e-mail
pointing out what they believed to be an outrage.  Specifically a letter
that Muhammed is writing on his own  stationary.  As a person with
Parkinson's disease I am delighted that Muhammad Ali is using his
considerable recognition to advance the cause of increased Parkinson's
research funding.  That it also references a particular organization to the
exclusion of other Parkinson's organizations is secondary.

Unfortunately, there is a long history of fierce competition  among various
Parkinson's organization and some personal  at animosity between
individuals.  We are not going to erase that with the wave of some magic
wand.  I believe we should concentrate our efforts in the areas where we
are  likely to be successful, and steer clear of areas of controversy, at
least at the outset.

Some have suggested that I have compromised my  effectiveness, or integrity
by joining the NPF Board of Directors. To that suggestion my reply is quite
bluntly BULLSHIT!  I stand on my record which clearly shows my first
allegiance is to curing Parkinson's disease  above all other issues. My
personal opinion is that we should eliminate the concept of taking credit.
If we all do all we can to pass this legislation and cure Parkinson, I will
gladly portion out any credit due me to those who desire credit.  I just
want to be in the back row drinking campaign with the many,  many great
people who have pounded the halls of Congress to get this legislation
passed.

I call upon everyone to put aside old grievances, speak only positively,
emphasize the areas of common interest and minimize any differences.  I
once suggested the saying " 1996--the year we pass the Udall Bill".  We
didn't quite make it in 1996.  How about "PASS THE UDALL BILL IN JULY".  We
need to get everyone who is able to DC in July.