>From a friend in England (on another list) whose mother has PD came
these inquiries, which she asked me to post for her. Any comments may
be sent to me for forwarding.

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997 23:28:29 +0100 she said:
>Dear Friend Camilla
>I hope that you won't mind me mailing to you privately rather than
>through QW-L. Please may I pick your brain over a problem I have with
>my mother.
>As you know, she has Parkinson's. As yet her symptoms are mild; she
>takes L-dopa ( Madopar(?) 5 tablets a day I think). Some time ago she
>agreed to take part in a trial of a drug which is taken in conjunction
>with the L-dopa to mitigate its side effects. As usual, it is a
>double-blind trial so we don't know whether she is on drug or placebo.
>She also has arthritis (long-standing) for which she takes something
>else - I can't remember what.
>Anyway, this evening she told me that she has had an upset stomach for
>a week (no vomiting, just loose stools). The research nurse has been in
>close touch by phone, and has suggested imodium; my mother is now off
>everything else except the L-dopa itself. Today she was a little better
>though it is still less than 24 hours since the last attack. She will
>see her doctor tomorrow.
>Please, do you know if an upset stomach is either a recognised effect
>of Parkinson's or a side effect of the L-dopa? I know I shall have to
>wait for a proper medical diagnosis, but you are the only person I know
>who might have an idea about all this. I'm sorry I don't know the names
>of the other drugs. My mother -has- had an earlier stomach attack
>(before the trial); we don't think either was due to infection, though
>of course that's the obvious first suspect. Are PD people more
>susceptible to infections anyway?
>I am truly sorry to bother you - do just tell me if there is nothing
>to say...

In a post today she adds that her mother has had a biopsy & colonoscopy,
and the doctors "seem to be taking it seriously". She still didn't know the
names of meds for PD and arthritis that mother takes.  Any suggestions will
be appreciated. She knows there is a British PD list but hasn't gotten on it.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"