Hi Ken-- I picture the block and tackle as being hung from the ceiling
over the bed---not very useful in some situations. I think there are
similar lifting devices, tho, that do not need to be attached to the
ceiling, and offer a sort of small trapeze for grasping.  What we did
for Peter was use a length of nylon rope fastened around the legs of the
bedframe (at foot) with a loop to grasp. It works fairly well  where other
options are inappropriate. (In rented "digs" for example.)

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"