Webster's New Twentieth Century Dictionary of the English Language,
Unabridged:

poop, n. [L. puppis, the stern of a ship.]
  1. The aftermost part of a vessel; a poop deck.
  2. Same as Poop cabin.

poop, n. In Architecture, a poppy head.

poop, n. The act of breaking wind. [Slang[

poop, v.t.; pooped, pt., pp.; pooping, ppr.
  1. To break over the stern of, as a heavy sea.
  2. To strike on the stern, as one vessel that runs her stem against
another's stern.
  3. To cheat; to trick; to dupe. [Prov. Eng.]

poop, v.i. To break wind. [Slang]

poop cabin. The cabin under the poop deck.

poop deck. A deck built over the cabin of a ship, when the cabin is in the
spar deck.

pooped (poopt) a.
  1. Having a poop.
  2 Struck on the poop by a heavy sea.

poppy head, n. In Architecture, a generic term given to the ornamental
finials used in churches, especially at the end of pews.

>From the above information, one could deduce that
1) I rely on very old sources (New Twentieth Century edition -- it's the one
I used to sit on when I was too short at the dinner table)
2) maybe what breaks over the stern of a ship is a certain type of "wind"
3) you might not want to live below the poop, eh?
4) the dictionary is full of violence
4) the term "the end of pews" seems a bit graphic, in olfactory meaning

Deanne Charlton (CG)