<Bass HREF="file:///C|/PARK/CAUSE6.HTM">

Natalie:
Sorry, I'll try to be straightforward.
I believe that airborne allergens cause the Parkinsonian &  MSA
symptoms that I have.   (I no longer have the classic allergic
symptoms ie sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, etc, when I am
exposed to my known allergens, even though I was told emphatically
by one of the country's foremost authorities on allergies, Dr.
Peter Creticos of Johns Hopkins, that I would, I don't) He says
I WILL react because I test  positive, if he is correct,(and
it appears to be consistent with reality),then these (Parkinsonian,
etc. symptoms)must be it, because it is the ONLY reaction that I have.

(And why not?  If the people's air who breathed carbon monoxide caused
it, and the viral encephalitis'people's air caused it,is it not
reasonable to suggest that my air (No!) can cause it too?

I'll briefly outline what I've been trying to say - (please pardon the verb tense)
- Initially I accept that my brain cells that produce dopamine are
or very soon will be dead resulting in Parkinsonism and I must take
dopamine by mouth to alleviate my symptoms.

-Then I find that I can make symptoms go away by simply massaging
my neck muscles for a long time. This happens during an 8 week
period when I am taking no medications at all, then Pooh (No!) logic
takes over - If I have the symptoms because I don't have dopamine
then if I don't have symptoms, I must have dopamine (Vonderful deduktiv
rezoning!) But this type reasoning is preferable in my opinion to
throwing reality in the phenomenon bucket when it clashes with theory,
I prefer to question theory rather than reality. Anyway,since now
I have dopamine, what is the problem? I think I may never know.

-Then I realize that because I am on very minimal medication that
I know under what circumstances my symptoms fluctuate.  The
fluctuations take on a very distinct pattern depending on very
specific circumstances - how much exposure I have to those substances
that I have tested positive for on allergy tests and the one that
I am most allergic to - cat dander - invariably causes the most
drastic symptoms.

-I am almost totally convinced that my symptoms  are brought on
by what I am breathing, though as with asthma other things -
stress, cold, emotion anything that worsens muscle spasm has the
potential for making it worse.

-So I act on this belief and do what is normally done to reduce
exposure and I improve over time also, it seems to be consistent.

-As I mentioned it not only appears to be true on the extremes, but
also in the smaller things - ie rainy days are better, showers help,
steamed  down rooms are better, places like golf courses where there
are few people and no animals are better, usually hospital rooms &
many doctor's patient rooms are better because of good filters,
hard floors that are regularly cleaned  are better, conversely
crowded places are bad, cars or the smaller the enclosed area is
and the more allergens it contains the worse it is, and it is
amazing how many references are incidentally made in books on
Parkinson's that I've read - things like - the patient or spouse
telling the doctor that they couldn't demonstrate the disability
because he's so much better at the doctor's office, or many references
to symptoms just disappearing at times for no identifiable reason,
or the fact that showers always help, or a walk, or that they always
avoid crowds,etc.  Also things like time to disability may vary
as much as 20 years on groups of people who all have virtually the
same number of dopamine producing neurons - 0 -begin to make sense.
Added to that many,many confirmations in my own walking test lab -
ie worse in almost every case when around people who have animals,
worse around where concrete work is done, worse in certain cars,
better in model homes, etc & etc.

They've been diligently searching for a hereditary/environmental
or rural or toxin (only to certain people) cause, then doesn't this answer
fairly well to them all?

(The rest is just me trying to interpret what I've read & heard so ask somebody
who has studied it if you really want to know about it)
Anyway,since I  knew that my body produced histamine in response to
allergens I looked it up to see what it might do to me.
I quickly found that (according to Merck) it is a "potent vasodilator"
makes you wonder if it conceivably could cause orthostatic hypotension,
swelling, discoloration,etc? It is a pro-inflammatory agent - I had
a variety of odd infections - half a nose that looked like Jimmy
Durante,yes, half, or as I prefer, Barbra Streisand, anyway other odd
infections confined to the right side,etc. It causes muscle spasm
(My MRI showed chronic cervical (neck) muscle spasm, that had actually
curved my spine) and since I believed the neck muscle spasms were central
to my condition,it seemed to make sense(even though I'm not supposed
to have histamine receptor sites there I don't think, but then again
I don't have them where I'm supposed to either (nose, etc) since I don't
react there.)Oh well, and Merck's section on anaphylactic (or whole body)
reactions to allergens was interesting too. It mentioned things like
agitation, uneasiness,digestive effects, heart, flushing, etc. It can
even, because of the vasodilation etc  (I think) cause shock, the
treatment for which is epinephrine (adrenalin) & dopamine. So, I
wondered, would you ever need a lot of dopamine to balance an abnormal
amount of histamine? I don't know.  Do you?
And this whole spiel may be wrong, but anyway it makes about as much
sense as the alternative options, Oh, well.

Do you want the long version?
Thanks,Janet - [log in to unmask]   (one L)

But with the new diagnostic tool -  DOPASCAN - as mentioned in this list
maybe these conversations will become obsolete, anyway I thought I'd
answer your question.