A Small Salvation

No-one offered me a choice that day in Gethsemani,
no-one said " you can say no".  No-one offered,
to take the cup away. No-one said " take what suits you,
would you prefer to shake or be slow?  Can we throw in
a touch of rigidity or maybe a lot". No-one asked me.
No-one asked.

Which is not to say that I had no choices.  I could
pretend that there was no cup, that Judas was a
friend, that Caiaphas' men where a welcoming
committee and Pilote a generous host. I had that
much choice, at least until the whips and thorns.
But not after.

Or I could drain the cup with passion, then slowly
travel the Via Dolorosa, stooping to the load, shaking
and shuffling, knowing the end and the journey for
what they are.  Golgotha is not chosen, it chooses you.
It leaves you no choices.  I had not applied, and no-one
had asked me.

And yet I have choices.  I can choose to walk, not be
dragged, down the road; to fill my home with my love
not my pain;  my words with my hope not despair. I can
share courage not fear; and reaching for the best that is in
me I can touch the pain of Calvery, and bring to pass a
small, personal, salvation.

                        Dennis Greene

Dennis Greene 47/10