>On June 6, 1997, a meeting was called by the four congressional
>Udall Bill sponsors (Senators' McCain & Wellstone and Congressman
>Upton & Waxman) to discuss strategy for the Udall Bill.  The meeting
>was an important one because the Udall Bill already has a majority of
>co-sponsors in the U.S. Senate and we are very close in the house.
>Currently, there are 55 Senate and 197 House co-sponsors. (In the House 218
>represents a majority) The Udall Bill also has a majority of the Senate
>Labor Committee and the Senate Appropriations Committee.
>
>The congressional staffers encouraged us to continue to sign as many
>co-sponsors as possible.  Each additional Senate and House co-sponsor we obtain
>puts our sponsors in a stronger position to move the Udall Bill forward through
>the committee(s) and eventually to the floor for a vote.  The Udall Bill
sponsors
>want to move the bill as quickly as possible particularly in the Senate.  A
victory
>in the Senate would put the bill in a much better position in the House were
>we have to do more work.  While several legislative options were discussed
at the metting no final decisions were made.  A second strategy meeting will
take place sometime after the July 4th congressional recess.

>************
>
>The reason for the success of the Udall Bill early in the 105th Congress is
a strong and coordinated grassroots effort.  I cannot tell you how many
times I have been told how impressed congressional staffers are with our
grassroots efforts on behalf of the Udall Bill.  Even the committee with
jurisdiction over the Udall Bill at certain points of time are receiving
more inquires on the (Udall) bill than any other.

>The American Parkinson Disease Association, Inc. has been a leader in the
grassroots campaign.  Currently the APDA is focusing on a targeted advocacy
effort in Wyoming, Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee and Florida.  These states
are important because members of their congressional delegation hold key
committee and leadership roles in the Senate and House.  The APDA efforts in
these include letter campaigns, phone calls, letters to the editor, and
constituent office visits.  In addition to your local and statewide efforts,
I encourage everyone to write or call Congressman Tom Bliley, Chairman-House
Commerce Committee and Michael Bilarakis, Health Sub-Committee Chair - House
Commerce Committee and ask them to support the Udall Bill and schedule hearings.

>Please keep up the good work and should you have any questions, comments,
suggestions, or need assistance please call Paul Smedberg, APDA Washington,
DC Office at 1-800-684-2732.