Camilla, you are correct that the use of the block and tackle normally would
require it to be hanging from above. On the other hand I think the same
principal could be used horizontally, similar to the way you have the rope
attached, just making it easier to pull.
I am sure we have some mechanical engineers lurking on the list who could
design this device.  ABout a year ago a device was bought in for my mother to
use with dad, it was a large cumbersome unit that had wheels, and would slide
under the bed, and provide a sling to go under him. It took a long time to
manuever it  the few feet from the area where it was kept to the bed, and it
took two people to operate it(!),.It was returned before the bill came....
It'd be a great unit in a hospital, but not in a normal home situation.  I
will keep trying to devise a "home friendly" device, but I can't help
wondering if there is something already on the market, that we are missing.