My sister recently sent this article to me. Its a bit old but maybe not
seen on the list.

Parkinson=92s sufferers are given new hope

PIONEERING surgery using electrode implants could cure the
debilitating tremors of Parkinson=92s disease.

The surgery recently conducted at Dundee Royal Infirmary on six
patients with severe tremors, blocks the faulty messages from brain
cells that cause theshaky movement.
The surgeon introduces a tinyy electrode through a small hole which is
drilled in the patients skull. The electrode is inserted in an area of
the brain called the thalamus, which Is responsible for causing tremors
In Parkinsons sufferers.  A small current Is passed though the electrode
tip untii the trembling stop.
The electrode is,then Implanted and connected to a generator the size of
a matchbox which is sown beneath the skin In the chest.  This
battery-powered device can be switched on and off by placing a magnet
over It and hopefully stop the tremors.
There is no cure for Parkingon=92s disease, which afflicts 120,000 Britis=
people, usually In old age.  The disease occurs because a type of cell
In an area of the brain called the basal ganglia is destroyed.  These
cells produce dopamine, which Is sent to the thalamus, the movement
centre of the brain.  In people with Parkinsons, the. thalamus is
deprived of dopamine. It reacts byy firing off randowm messages which
cause a tremor.

Drugs such a s levodopa which raise dopamine levels in the brain are a
standard treatment, but they have substantial side effects including
hallucination and confusion.  Also. they can=92t halt the deterioration o=
brain cells and become less effective with time.
Although expensive at =A35.900, the systerm, labelled the brain pace make=
could offer a permanent cure for trembling.
It is a very complex procedure. but in most cases so far we have found
it stops trembling altogether,=92 says Thelekat Varme, neurosurgeon at
Dundee Royal Infirmary, who conducted the operations.
Like drugs,=92 he adds, =91It does not the brain cells from deteriorating.
But free of trembling, substantially mproves the patient=92s quality of
lfe.  Sufferers are able to do things that would otherwise be impossible
such as read, write or make a cup of tea.
ANASTASIA STEPHENS, Daily Mail 15 April 1997
unquote

Also in another article a book on nutrition was discussed. I am waiting
for a copy. It's called " Parkinsons Disease The New Nutritional
Handbook" (Denon Press) It should be available from Nutri Centre UK 44
171 436 5122 priced at =A39.95.

I hope that this is not old news to the news group.

Regards