---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:   "will johnston" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Sinemet vs Sinemet Cr
Date:   Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:56:41 -0400
----------
> From: CAthy Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Sinemet vs Sinemet Cr
> Date: Sunday, June 15, 1997 4:06 PM
>
>       Can anyone of you wonderful folks please explain the difference
> Between Sinemet and Sinemt CR?   I know that Sinemet CR  is  time
> released, but beyond that,  are the drugs equal?

Dear Cathy:

Sinemet CR is simply regular Sinemet packed in a tighter tablet which will
disolve more slowly.
The two are equal chemically, but the delay in disolving by the CR will
allow a substantial portion of the medication to pass through the small
intestine unabsorbed. Thus more CR is required for same effectiveness.

>My neurologist has
> put  me on a            trial  of the Sinemet CR for one month.  I am
> still experiencing down tme between doses (something I presumed would be
> gone...)The medication   still needs to be taken every 4 or 5 hours; and
> it takes a considerably longer period of time for my first dose to "kick
> in".

CR is often considered to be a convenince form of medication. Many use a
combination of the two. A morning stat with Sinemet will get the body
"perking," and a CR shortly thereafter will kick in slowly and give a
longer up time.

>The financial  factor is that the monthly increase  for the month
> is an added  $120.00.  My doctor does not seem to be a great help to me
> when I ask for his advice.  Any  advice?
> Mary G.

You can get the same results from the regular Sinemet [or generic] as from
the CR if you are willing and able to take medication more often, many
times taking only a portion of a regular Sinemet at times. [Just got to the
bottom of a generic Sinemet bottle and found many halfs and thirds of
tablets.]

For greater control and LOTS MORE INCONVENIENCE   use  liquid Sinemet which
involves a daily grinding and mixing on your part. Regular Sinemet is
powdered by you in a cup [a knife handle makes a good crusher] and mixed
with CocaCola or other non-diet soft drink. The mixture is then divided
into doses to equal your total daily prescription, and then taken in sips
over the period of a day.