A bit technical, but the words I understood sent a clear message: dietary
Vit. E intake
is important & beneficial.

Abstracts - June 1997
Dietary Antioxidants and Parkinson Disease

The Rotterdam Study

Maarten C. de Rijk, MD; Monique M. B. Breteler, MD, PhD; Johanna H. den
Breeijen, MSc; Lenore J. Launer, PhD; Diederick E.Grobbee, MD, PhD; Frans G.
A. van der Meche, MD, PhD; Albert Hofman, MD, PhD

Objective: To investigate whether high dietary intake of antioxidants
decreases the risk of Parkinson disease (PD).

Setting: The community-based Rotterdam Study, the Netherlands.

Design: The cross-sectional study formed part of a large community-based
study in which all participants were individually screened for parkinsonism
and were administered a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. The
study population consisted of 5342 independently living individuals without
dementia between 55 and 95 years of age, including 31 participants with PD
(Hoehn-Yahr stages 1-3).

Results: The odds ratio for PD was 0.5 (95% confidence interval [CI],
0.2-0.9) per 10-mg daily dietary vitamin E intake, 0.6 (95% CI,0.3-1.3) per
1-mg beta carotene intake, 0.9 (95% CI, 0.4-1.9) per 100-mg vitamin C
intake, and 0.9 (95% CI, 0.7-1.2) per 10-mg flavonoids intake, all adjusted
for age, sex, smoking habits, and energy intake. The association with
vitamin E intake was dose
dependent (P for trend=.03). To assess whether the association was different
in participants with more advanced disease, we excluded those with PD who
had a Hoehn-Yahr stage of 2.5 or 3. This did not fundamentally alter the
results.

Conclusion: Our data suggest that a high intake of dietary vitamin E may
protect against the occurrence of PD.

Arch Neurol. 1997;54:762-765

Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540