17 June 97
Marling, I saw your note about intention to give Zolpidem a try,
and would like to comment: I recall from the original letter in
Lancet, that (a) it worked for only 6 out of 10 PD patients it
was tried on, and (b) if it does help PD symptoms, that should
be apparent almost from the first day; so don't get hopes up too
high, but by all means let us know how it does for you.
Also, regarding your recent mention of Paxil: I've seen at least
one report that while it was effective against depression, it made
the PD patient's symptoms worse (Jimenez-Jimenez et al; Neur 1994;
44:2406). Further, the PDR warns of occasional but potentially
dangerous interaction with MAO inhibitors (e.g., Eldepryl), so
watch out.
Regards,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694