Dear Jay--it is unfortunately true that a certain percentage of PWPs do
develop cognitive/memory problems--not necessarily at first, but perhaps at
least a third will have such problems--this is the case for my husband.
This is thereason somePWPs are trying the Alzheimer's drug, Aricept, as I just
posted about our experience with it.  I know this will be no comfort to your
father--or your family--but is one of the realities we have to face.  There
is also a very common effect called" bradyphrenia" or "slow thinking",
comparable to bradykinesia (slow movement), where things do float to the
surface, but take longer. Cognitive impairment is not pleasant to think
about, and not inevitable either--but it is part of the reality for many
PWPs and their loved ones. I hope your connection here will find many
ways to help your father cope, even if you can't always reassure him as
you would like to.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter, 78/7, Oxford,Ohio
"Ask me about the CARE list for PD caregivers!"