Interesting question- I understand the current estimate,
based on weight and volume, is about a billion neurons,
corresponding roughly to binary elements in a computer:
but each neuron is capable of many, not just two,
connections to other neurons, and the assignment seems
to be quite flexible, for example in damage control.
A lot of people are trying to figure how it all works,
but it isn't 2001 yet! Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road