I think, if you are very wise, and I believe that you are,
you will buy all the disability insurance you can afford.
I wouldn't just buy it from your employer either, but
supplement it with a private company.

In 1988 my late SIL developed Lymphoma,
he would live and fight courageously for 3.5 years
before he died of it.
The company he worked for layed him off the minute
his company controlled disability insurance  ran out.
He had worked for this  company for 19.5 years.
He wasn't eligible to receive any of his pension until
he was 65 years old.  He died at age 42.

The last year of his life, we hired an attorney, a young
lady he had gone to high school with, but they had lost touch,
 and she got him his SS and his pension. After fighting for
it for 2 years, she managed to get it all done in a matter of
4 months.
Once you develop a potentially fatal disease, the doors
to the insurance companies are closed to you.
Also, that company, who was so wonderful to you for so
many years, will be the first in line to bury you while you
still live.

I wish I weren't still so bitter over this, but I am.