To add to the discussion about PD and lessening of ability to concentrate and
how that is effected by more or less sleep (for what it's worth) <smile>:

I had been functioning (more or less) on 2 to 3 hours of interrupted sleep
each nite for the last 5 years.  In addition, there was usually a couple of
nites each week  when I got no sleep at all.  To say I've been chronically
sleep deprived is an understatement!

I fought using  sleeping pills getting sleeping pills to get a better nite's
sleep as tho that type of drug was poison.  FINALLY, in desperation I asked my
MD for sleeping pills and was prescribed the generic of Restoral.  The
directions for this drug said "DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 4 NIGHTS OUT OF 7!

For 4 nites a week I slept like a baby (tho still found my sleep interrupted
by constant trips to the bathroom) <sigh> and three nites a week I was
sleepless.
I DID overall feel noticeably better and was able to concentrate somewhat
better with the added sleep.

I began to become frustrated and apprehensive about the 3 sleepless nights,
which were NOT 3 consecutive nites.  I found I was unable to take the Restoral
even two nites in a row without getting a headache, so alternated one nite ON
and the next nite OFF the drug to prevent that pain.  The trouble with this
was that it was too erratic and I found myself having to PLAN for the
post-sleeping-pill days and the no-sleep-days because of sheer exhaustion.
And on the days AFTER I hadn't slept, even tho I DID take the Restoral the
night before, there was a residual physical/mental fatigue (in addition to the
miserable daily "PD fatigue") carried over from the previous sleepless nite.

OH WOE!   What to do, WHAT to DO?! <grin>  I was already taking the lowest
dosage of the drug, so couldn't order it in a less potent form.  So, since it
was in a capsule, I emptied 1/2 half the contents of a capsule, said a little
prayer it'd work, and ended up having 4 to 5 hours sleep (with somewhat fewer
trips to the bathroom).  The next nite I emptied out even more of the
capsule's contents, and STILL had a good nite's sleep - with NO HEADACHE when
I awoke.

The upshot of this all is that for the past 2 months I've taken 1/3 of a
capsule of the lowest dose of Restoral nearly every nite (I try to not take it
at least 2 nites a week) and DO sleep, and DO feel physically/mentally better
overall regularly.  My daytime hours are more predictable as to how I'm going
to feel because of the fairly consistent nightly sleep.

The conclusion I've drawn from all this is that a decent nite's sleep IS very
important to function as best as one's able, and even more important if one's
living with a disease such as PD that in itself has built-in pitfalls that
prevent optimum sleep each nite.

(By the way.. this DID start out to be a brief message... but...) <smile>

Barb Mallut