PD, dementia, memory.

Sue:
In many textbooks dementia is mentioned as being an inevitable symptom of PD.
To say this without explanation is misleading. A chance for a PWP to suffer in
the future from Alzheimer is a bit greater  than it is for a person without
Parkinson. Another kind of progressive dementia is found  in a small part of
PWP's. Autopsy (search after death) has shown another deterioration in the
brain of the these patients than is found in Alzheimers.
In other PWP's a much milder deterioration of intellectual functions is seen.
Not every deterioration in intellectual functions has the character of dementia
as the word is used  in common language.
I was diagnosed in 1984. The first time I was on a meeting of the Dutch
Parkinson Organisation I was immediately convinced that even patients with
heavy symptoms could function intellectualy normal. However I never met a PWP
who said his memory function was completely intact.  It is my own experience
that it is not simply short-term memory that fails. It is the loss of the
funcion of automatically storing things in my memory without giving it
conscious attention. If I want to remember next week what I did today I have to
rehearse things, but having done so I don't forget them any more than I would
do before being a PWP . I wrote about this earlier answering Elisabeth Leslie.
I then told about a holiday 2 years ago in Turkey.  I tried to learn some
Turkish, which is a language so strange and with so many words which give no
recognition at all, that much rote learning  is necessary. It took time and
rehearsal and a feeling the next day, that one had to start all over again. But
in the end I knew a few hundreds  Turkish words. Because for people suffering
from dementia one of the first things that is lost is the ability for rote
learning, this is an important fact.
Maybe a parrallel exists with other functions that are yet there but need more
conscious energy to be used. The loss of the abillity to do many things at the
same time, is mentioned by others too.
I  happened to see another deteriorated function by myself some months ago. At
night I had accidentally turned off all the lights and tried to go to the
stairs. However I could not orient myself and feel for my way through my own
house. Feeling that one particular chair did not make it possible to deduct
which way I had to go, I felt totally lost till I found the light switch.
Could it be possible that the writers who mention dementia as a enevitable part
of Parkinson talk about those functions? If that is true, it is confusing to
use the same word for it as is used for the symptoms of Alzheimer.

Regards, Ida Kamphuis, 53/12+ ; Holland