At 07:44 PM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>This is my first time writing.  I have only been subscribed to the group
>for 3 days, but have already learned some things.  I am sole caregiver
>(our closest family is 700 miles away) to my 87 year old grandmother with
>Parkinson's complicated by multi-infarct dementia.  Recently, she was
>placed in a nursing home for rehab after a fall.  Since she has been in
>the nursing home she has been having a lot of trouble with being
>disoriented, confused and some hallucinations.  Also, she complains she
>hates to see night come because she has horrible nightmares and cries and
>calls out.  I noticed it was mentioned that you need to eat something
>with the slow-release sinemet.  Since she has been in the nursing home
>they have changed the times at which she takes her meds.  She was taking
>them at 8:00 am and 5:00 pm with breakfast and dinner, but now she takes
>them at 8:00 am and 8:00 pm (8:00 pm without food).  Could this be part
>of the problem?  The other thing I wanted to ask about is that I had
>noticed many of you mentioning your neurologists. At this time my
>grandmother is under the care of a family practioner and I am wondering
>if perhaps a neurologist would be better able to help her? This would not
>have occurred to me without this group.  Your opinions would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thank you so much.  Lori Bauer
Lori,
 I make a lot of presentations on Parkinsons to nursing homes and I have
learned that they don't understand Parkinson's at all. Usually their
medication schedule is set up to  benifit the  staff not the patient. I
think what you need is a conference between  family, staff and doctor . Yes
by all means get a neurologist and not only that but one that specializes in
movement disorders such as Parkinson's. A good presentation or in-service on
Parkinson's given by a person with the disease would be a good avenue to
persue as well. Contact your PD support group for help on that.

Good Luck, and if I can be of further  help I'll certainly try.

Russ Ahlstrom                 [log in to unmask]
52/31