The political spectrum in the US includes a wide variety of views and
this is reflected in the Congress.  I don't think it would be
productive for citizens of other countries to lobby the Congress for
passage of the Udall bill.  The sentiment now among many in Congress
is to discontinue aid to citizens and legal immigrants.  I think
there might very well be a feeling of resentment by those who are
asked to provide funding if they are contacted by people abroad who
are not citizens.  When residents of one state write to a
representative of another that letter is generally not responded to
but is forwarded to the representative of the writer's state.
Politically there is a Balkanization and before a politician does
anything, he will weigh and consider carefully how what he is
considering will play back home with the voters because first and
foremost he wants to be re-elected.  People from overseas who are not
US citizens, no matter how worthy their cause cannot vote for him.

I'm curious about the involvement of the citizenry abroad in helping
to decide their government's agenda.  Do people lobby their
representatives and urge them to support funding for PD and other
diseases and causes?   Obviously. important scientific research is
taking place.  Is government support advocated by interested citizens?
  The private sector cannot fund all the research that's needed in
this country so interest groups form and advocate for the
government's scientific involvement and financial participation.
Support for the Udall bill is an example.  Is this done elsewhere?   .

As a resident of New Jersey  I know that Rep. Bliley was instrumental
in blocking passage of the Udall bill in the 104th Congress,  The
names of other Congressman are often associated with much that is
good in the national media..  I've never read anything about Cong.
Bliley other than in connection with the Udall bill.  That's quite a
legacy.  I've  called his office and will continue to do so.

I respectfully suggest that anyone wishing to contribute to passage
of the Udall bill consider sending a contribution to the Parkinson's
Action Network, 818 College Avenue, Suite C, Santa Rosa, California,
95404.  They advocate political involvement as a means of getting the
Udall bill passed and are effective.  Morris Udall's son and daughter
serve on the board of the Parkinson's Action Network as director, and
member, respectively.

Dolores Gross