---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:   "Debbie White" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Shoulder Pain
Date:   Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:38:29 -0400

Phil,

Thanks for  the information. I spoke to my mother tonight, and she said
that the shoulder feels a bit better. I'm hoping it is not part of the
overall illness.

This has just brought to the surface the confusion involved in evaluating
the origin of various problems now that my mother has been diagnosed with
PD. It's hard enough for ANYONE to determine the cause of a problem -- but
how do you decide whether something is a symptom of PD or whether its a
separate problem that you can combat with more conventional medicines?

Debbie White

----------
> From: Phil Gesotti <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Shoulder Pain
> Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 9:27 PM
>
> Debbie,
>
> Just prior to my PD diagnosis a year ago, the symptom that caused me the
> most discomfort was the pain in my right shoulder (the side affected by
the PD). With Sinemet, the chronic pain eventually went away and arm swing
returned, but I will still get soreness in this arm when stressed or
fatigued. What does help is a 2 1/2 lb. ankle weight worn on my wrist while
walking. It seems to stretch the arm and force an arm swing cadence.
> Wrist weights are lighter and might be alternatives.
>
> Disclaimer: Standard disclaimer here. I'm not a doctor. I'm not giving
medical advice, etc., etc., etc.