This is in reply to Pat Schark and to all those who are lucky enough to
find fava beans and would like to know how to eat them.
These beans are fairly common in Italy, especially in the South. I am from
the north of the country and not extremely familiar with them, although I
have tried and liked them. They are sold fresh in street markets during
summer and can also be found canned/dried/frozen in supermarkets. They have
an outer shell that must be removed and thrown away (just like green peas
and any other sort of beans). The bean itself is envelopped in a kind of
hard skin which must be removed too (it is not harmful, but quite hard to
chew!). When the bean is fresh or frozen, all you have to do is boil the
beans in hot salted water for about 10 minutes, drain them and when they no
longer burn your fingers slightly press them and the skin will peel off
very easily. In that way they are also ready to eat, dressed with olive
oil, salt and black pepper. This is the easiest way, but they can also be
mashed and dressed in the same way, or cooked with rice or pasta and also
go very well with fish.
In the case of dried beans, I have no personal experience but I guess the
only difference stands with the boiling time. I suppose it is enough to
double it (I am not sure whether they need soaking in water overnight).
Please let me know if this is the case and I will find out. Also, if you
like I can copy recipes from my cookery books.
(I'd love to be of help)

Mariuccia