CHAMPUS stands for Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Uniformed
Services.   When on active duty you can use a civilian doctor and claims are
sent to CHAMPUS for payment.  You can usually see a civilian doctor if there
are no military doctors within so many miles of your dwelling (I can't
remember the mileage.)

CHAMPUS can only be used if you are not yet 65 yrs. of age, and as I know it,
it is only available to active and retired military and their dependent
families.

When my husband retired after 30 years in the Army, we elected to use
Uniformed Services Family Health Plan in lieu of CHAMPUS.  USFHP is like an
HMO.  We could not have both.  As we also have Blue Cross (through my
husband's civilian office, we are quite content.)

Hope the above gives you some insite in the workings of the government on
this subject.

If you need anymore clarification on this subject, please ask.  I am going on
vacation for a week of golf in Williamsburg tomorrow .

Good luck
Edie Luther 62/l7