AOL has been having problems with its E-Mail System.  Please pardon the
inconvenience if this message is a repeat.

For those of you who have been following my reports on the "pig-cell" implant
surgery, this is the third update.

It has been nine months since the operation and yesterday, June 18, 1997, I
was in
Boston for a medical evaluation.  As usual, the battery of tests was
performed after I
had been without medication for sixteen hours.  In other words, in the "off"
state.

These are the same tests that are always performed by the staff at the
Neurological
Referral Center.  We're all familiar with them; foot-tapping, balance, motor
skills, etc.
These tests generally take about two hours to complete.  After that, I am
given my
normal dosage of Sinemet (the only drug I take) and, when I turn "on," the
very same
tests are repeated.  You can guess what a tiring day this is.

The news, however, is mostly good.  I continue to show improvement in nearly
all of
the tested areas.  The  "on - off" transition is smoother and more
predictable.
Walking is better.  Dyskinesia is less of a problem.  On the negative side,
fine-motor
skills are not keeping pace with rest of the progress.  My handwriting is
just awful.  I
hope, and expect, for that to improve.  Overall, the doctors seemed quite
impressed.

You cannot, though, measure everything in strict scientific terms.  So, a few
personal
words are in order.  I just seem to be feeling a little better, but not in
any specific
ways that could be represented by a chart or a graph.  These positive
feelings
include improvements in energy level, sleeping, and overall well-being.

The second dreaded PET-scan (see previous reports) has not been performed.
They are having serious problems with the machine.  And that's fine with me!
 It has
been re-scheduled (again) for the middle of August.  Although I have agreed
having it (and I will), that doesn't make it pleasant.

So that's the latest.  For any ListMembers who missed the previous reports,
feel free
to request them directly from me via E-Mail.

Jim Finn    <[log in to unmask]>