Debbie W. and "All"

I have been treated by an orthopedist for intermittent severe shoulder pain -
which turned out to be a torn rotator cuff - for over 3 years.  In researching
this and discussion it with not only my orthopedist, but my neuro as well, it
appears that about 50 percent of persons who end up with PD, often get
shoulder pain prior to getting the disease.

In my own case, I've had PD on my right side for almost 22 years with no
shoulder pain.  However, about 3 1/2 years ago, was struck with terrible pain
in my left shoulder which was made worse with movement - kinda a problem,
since I'm left-handed <groan>.  This turned out to be a torn rotator cuff
causing bursitis, possibly brought on by so much repetitive movement with the
PC keyboard and/or the mouse.  And if not actually brought on by that,
certainly aggravated by it!  Just about that time I also began to develop PD
in my left side, so it's entirely possible that the shoulder pain was the
precursor to the advent of the let-side PD.

My orthopedist has injected cortisone into the shoulder joint which relieves
the bursitis for an average of about 4-5 months, then the cycle repeats
itself..  Recognizing that it's not beneficial to have lots of repeated
cortisone injections, my ortho none-the-less has decided to continue them with
caution because the only other option is surgery to clean up the shoulder
joint.   While it is usually done as arthoscopic surgery, sometimes more is
needed, and this is VERY tough on the Parkie, apparently, causing a major case
of "frozen shoulder," which then necessitates extensive physical therapy to
hopefully gain a return of movement to the shoulder.

Gotta tell ya, it sure is easy to forget about the shoulder when it's not
acting up, and DAMN - it's SO frustrating when it returns (and it does, in my
case at least)

Barb Mallut