Bernard,

I'm not a lawyer, but have been involved with scientific journals as a
reader for many years. My feeling is:

1. You can photocopy an article once for personal reference; its common
practice to photocopy an article for a group (say students) for academic
teaching (no personal gain) - if running a public course where large
fees are paid, course leaders sometimes ask for permission; you cannot
copy for personal gain without permission.
2. You can quote sections from an article for the purposes of discussion
with appropriate acknowledgements
3. You cannot plagiarize

The inference of your message is re-publishing, without prior
permission, a whole article in the public domain in something that is
sold for gain; I would not do it. Neither would I post someones private
note to me without their permission.

FOR THIS NEWS GROUP HOWEVER
There was a note in this news group some weeks ago which was, in my
opinion, somewhat pedantic, and set out the very tough and probably
correct situation - basically you should not post a complete article
here. BUT I would argue that we can be compared to academic teaching. If
an article is in the public domain, academically relevant to the
interests of this group, put here for information / discussion for no
financial gain, post it and be damned.

I posted a short newspaper article  a couple of weeks ago, properly
referenced. I should technically have asked the publisher for
permission. I really don't think I will be sued.

Follow your con scions

Keep posting!!

.