From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Barbara Mallut
Sent:   Monday, June 16, 1997 5:21 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        FW: Medicare Funding of Pallidotomies

Hi Frank.....

Medicare covered all but about $1200 of my Oct. 24, 1994 pallidotomy.
HOWEVER, if you're on a Medicare supplemental program such as an HMO, chances
are THEY won't cover this type of surgery (tho a few are now doing so).

I was forced to quit my then Medicare supplemental program (the "Nightmare
health plan from HELL!  "FHP" <------ WORLD'S WORST!!), which MUST be done
before the end of the month so you'll be dropped from their membership list on
the last day of the month.   THEN I had the palldotomy.  And THEN I rejoined a
Medicare supplemental program again (definitely NOT the same one as before the
surgery tho!).

When ya are forced to do that, the thing is you'll still be covered by
Medicare itself, but that's an 80/20 payment plan and drugs are NOT included
as they are in a Medicare supplemental program.  SOOO.. if ya have the
pallidotomy, and because you're feeling great now, ya go out for a walk (or
dancing or maybe play a round of golf or tennis), then you've gotta cough up a
few bucks for treatment.

Barb Mallut