Why is a Hippopotamus important?  Because he's  big? No.  Because he is
a valuable  part of a rivers's eco-system. By stirring up, muddying the
waters he performs an essential function in a rivers  eco-system.

Kudos to some of the replies, insightful and funny. WE, us, could make a
best seller out of them.  They are insightful and, yes, funny.  E.g.,
the remarks about Pat Paulson and Jackie Mason.  We could build on such
remarks. "There are smiles that make you happy, there are smiles that
make you sad." There are smiles that are unique to individuals,
smile-prints. No references to Mona Lisa, please.  A man whom I hadn't
seen in years, kept turning toward me.I smiled as best I could.  He
finally  said, "I didn't recognize you until you smiled."  An upsetting
epiphany for me.  A chapter in OUR book would be titled Frozen Masks.
The beginning of the chapter would define the term PD Frozen Mask.  The
rest of the chapter would be our delightful exchanges. A page a day, and
in a year we have a weighty Hippo size tome. Would you believe it, in
literary circles (circles?) there are those who believe that fiction can
give greater insight into human behavior than actual experiencce. (Go
get 'em).  Hippo, sounds dangerously like that poop word, back to
scatology?

Let's make lemonade.  I need your aid.

Walter