At 05:01 PM 6/27/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello Everyone:
>
>I'm new here so if I do this wrong someone please let me know.
>
>My name is Susan A., from Dallas Tx area.  I'm new to the area, just been
here 6 mos.
>But I'm not new to the treatment of PD.  I was diagnosed with PD when I was
25, had symptoms for a year before that.
>I am now 39, so going on 15 years with this.  In those number of years
there has a lot of ups and downs, thanks to a great
>doctor who really knows the field of PD (Dr. Langston), I am still able to
live a fairly normal life.

>In the years since I was diagnosed I have had 2 girls ages 8 and 11yrs.,
seen my Dad suffer  from poor treatment for PD.,
>I had brain surgery about 8 years ago on the Thalamus (spelling?), which
did wonders .
>Right now I am currently taking Carbidopa/levodopa 25/100, permax,
eldepryl.  I do have periods of up and down with the meds,
>but overall doing good.  I have recently started exercising on a regular
basis (every morning), this has made a big difference in the way I feel.  As
I mainly have just the tremor, which I have learned to adjust to the meds.
decide they want to take the day off.
>My muscles can get rigid if I do not exercise, so I can make a difference
here.

>I try to keep very active, and keep a positive outlook on all of this.  I
really your attitude can make you or break you when dealing with
>PD.  And of course the sense of humor has got to be there.  I think the
funniest thing I have heard is one day I over heard
>one of my girls explaining why Mommies hand shakes, they said they really
didn't understand it totally, but they did
>know that there Mom could make one heck of a milkshake.
>
>Some days I do feel alone with my age and PD, would very much like to know
that there are some one else  about the same age as I trying trying to deal
with this and raise small kids.

>Sorry if I rambled, hope no one got bored.  Thanks for listening.
>
>Susan A. Dallas Tx/ 39
........Susan.,
 Greetings!  So you were  diagnosed at age 25, well I have finally found
someone  diagnosed near the age I was (21)  Although Iam quite abit older at
53 (my birthday was yesterday June 26) and I have had  PD for 32 years, I am
sure I could identify with some of the things you have gone through. Back
when I was diagnosed in 1967 we didn't have alot of the helps that we have
today.  I have written a book about my life with Parkinson's but havent had
it published yet and don't know if it ever will be,but at least I wrote it.
I too had a special relationship with the doctor who diagnosed my case but
he retired and I am not too pleased with the one I have now.  If you  have
any quetions don't hesitate to ask.
Take care,

Russ Ahlstrom     [log in to unmask]
53/32