Camilla Flintermann wrote:
> =

> Kathrynne-- may I suggest that the chart re: amounte os protein in
> various foods be posted to the list, so all of us can make use of it in=
 trying
> to Achieve the "7 to 1" balance that is recommended for PWPs? =

Dear Camilla,
I'll gladly post the chart. =

        FOOD SERVING SIZES / APPROXIMATE GRAMS OF PROTEIN

Breads, grains: 1 slice bread, =BD bagel or English muffin
                        1 cup cold cereal
                        =BD cup cooked cereal, rice, or pasta   =

15 grams carb/ 3 grams protein/ 80 calories
--------------------------
Vegetables              =BD cup cooked veg.
                        =BD cup chopped raw veg.
                        6 oz veg. juice
                        l cup raw leafy greens  =

5 grams carb/ 2 grams protein/25 calories
--------------------------
Fruit                   1 medium apple, banana, or orange; =

                        =BD cup fresh berries; =

                        15 grapes; =

                        =BD cup applesauce; =

                        1/4 cup dried fruit; =

                        3/4 cup fruit juice     =

15 grams carb/ 0 protein/ 60 calories
--------------------------
Dairy (low or reduced fat choices)              =

        8 oz milk or yogurt : 12 grams carb/ 8 grams pro/ 3 grams fat/ =

                                100 calories
        1 =BD oz cheese : 1 gram carb/ 10 grams protein/ 8 grams fat/  150
calories
        1 cup cottage cheese : 6 grams carb/ 28 grams protein/ 3 grams fat/ =

160 calories
--------------------------
Protein (meat and poultry choices should be low-fat or medium-fat)      =

        1 oz meat, poultry, fish: 3 grams carb/ 7 grams protein/ 3 grams fat/ =

75 calories
        1 cup cooked dried beans : 30 grams carb/ 7 grams protein/ 225                          =

calories
        1 egg : 0 grams carb/ 6 grams protein/ 5 grams fat/ 80 calories
        Mixed nuts, 1 ounce (4 TB) : 5 grams carb/ 7 grams protein/ 14 grams
fat/ 175 calories
        Peanut butter, 2 TB: 5 grams protein/ 9 grams carb / 14  grams fat /
185 calories    =

--------------------------

Fats                    Butter, margarine,  1 tsp: 0 carb/ 0 protein/ 45 calories
                        Avocado, 1/4 :  3 grams carb/ 1 gram protein/  75 calories

-- =

Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
and NUTRITION TOPICS copy-ready handouts
http://www.dietetics.com/class/fivstar/
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538