Barb, you are a smart lady (we already knew that!) I have a trick that worked
years ago, I do NOT eat  anything that ever had feathers, including chickens,
pillows, etc. and just for spite all the airlines, besides not checking for
loose engine parts too frequently, also serve the cheapest food, which seems
to be CHICKEN, unless they get a good deal on mouse burgers. I just told the
nice stewardess (they were still called that, last time I flew ) that I was
allergic to fowl and she said she'd see what she could find. and came up with
a beautiful filet mignon, which was the envy of all the folks in the "lousy
seats cause the company paid the lowest price" section! Since then I always
call in advance and request a vegetarian meal, and get 4 peas, a piece of
lettuce and an apple core, but NO FEATHERS! So I am a happy dude, and even
more so if "slight turbulence" doesn't crush my skull, or sever any limbs
during the flight!  To be fair I think I got the whole apple, and the core
was just an extra special treat! ken B