Lori Bauer wrote:>
> I'm very concerned about her
> medication at this point, she was having so much trouble with confusion
> and hallucinations that they have cut her back to one Sinement CR 50/200
> at bedtime and a valium.

Dear Lori,
How long has your grandmother been taking Valium?
If she is indeed doing better now, then no doubt her new medication
regime is correct for her. However, many geriatricians do not consider
Valium to be a good choice for older adults. Side effects include:
confusion, depression, fatigue, insomnia, nausea, constipation, and
tremors.

Some older adults begin using powerful medications, then develop
tremors, and are wrongly diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. If your
grandmother began taking Valium before she was diagnosed with PD, this
should be considered.

> question - I know some of you have mentioned urinary frequency and I was
> wondering if anybody has experienced repeated urinary infections?  My
> grandmother can no sooner get rid of one urinary infection than she's got
> another one.

Urinary tract infections are unfortunately rather common in older
adults. If she will agree, a glass of cranberry juice daily may help
prevent UTIs. Cranberry tablets are said to help in prevention also.
It's also important to drink plenty of water -- water helps flush the
bacteria out of the urinary tract. Many older adults experience
decreased thirst sensation, and therefore don't drink enough water. This
greatly increases risk for UTI.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--