>Urinary tract infections are unfortunately rather common in older
>adults. If she will agree, a glass of cranberry juice daily may help
>prevent UTIs. Cranberry tablets are said to help in prevention also.
>It's also important to drink plenty of water -- water helps flush the
>bacteria out of the urinary tract. Many older adults experience
>decreased thirst sensation, and therefore don't drink enough water. This
>greatly increases risk for UTI.

>Kathrynne,  You are absolutely correct about the cranberry juice! But if
  you do not mind, I would like to add something that I found in Prescription
for Nutritional Healing.
   Avoid commercial cranberry juice cocktail products. These contain relatively
little pure cranberry juice (less than 30 percent in some cases) and have
high-fructose corn syrup or other sweeteners added.

  I found the canned cranberries to work even better than the concentrate
juices and they were cheaper. GNC carries a cranberry supplement, but I still
found the canned to be superior. I hope this helps. Best Wishes Linda Forrest's
Mom